Notes & Details
Planted in Affliction – Encouragement from a Young Church
Sunday, March 6, 2022
1 Thessalonians 4:1-8
Cody John Simpson
- Doctrine: Know about God – Know about God’s design/commands
- Keep away from sexual immorality (broad term for all sex outside heterosexual marriage).
- God says that if you’re going to have sex with someone you must had made a lifelong covenantal commitment to them (marriage) or else you are not treating them right – You are trangressing against them. God will avenge them (frightening words)
- Experience – Relationship with God
- God is always with us, even when we’re sexually intimate. (v1) Paul says live in a way that pleases God. Our sexual lives either please or displease God.
- (v4) Live with honour before God. We downplay honour today (big deal in Paul’s day. But we should strive to live so that God would say that we are living with honour.
- Practice – Our effort
- (v4) We are called to live with self-control – A fruit of the Spirit (Gal 5:22) This means it’s possible for you.
- Jesus perfectly exemplifies self-control. We follow His example. If we have faith in His death, then through our salvation the Holy Spirit gives us the ability to imitate Him.