Prone to Wander – The Story of Jonah
Sunday, April 24, 2022
Cody John Simpson
- Have you ever felt called by God?
- Jonah is a bit stereotypical. In a lot of ways we see in Jonah the deeply religious kind of person who at the very same time lacks the heart of someone who knows God. He’s similar to the Pharisees of Jesus’ day, or unloving and proud so-called Christians today that seem to pop up all over the internet. Yet before we fall into the same sin of judgementality, we need to recognize as much as God is seeking to use Jonah in our story, He is seeking to Jonah himself.
- God is sovereign
- God doesn’t need Jonah, but He has something in this for Jonah to learn. He pursues Jonah so much out of love.
- In a way we’re all like Jonah – refusing to follow where God calls us to go.
- But God will not leave us in our miserable, hard-hearted states. He showed us the length He would go in pursuing us by sending Jesus, His Son, to die on the cross to purchase us forgiveness.
- What is God calling you to do or change that you’re refusing to?
- Don’t push against God, rather embrace His calling.
- In prayer ask Him to help you with whatever you’re lacking or is holding you back from the task.